Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Speak English More Goodly You Inarticulate Bastards!

I promised myself that this blog would not be used for venting frustration with the internet, as I find it fairly ironic that the thing I am complaining about is the very thing that is allowing me the forum to complain and vent in the first place. Oh, how the mind boggles.

For the most part, it's quite easy to turn a blind eye to most of the things that the internet does which light a fire under me. For example, those adverts that pop up full screen on websites that you just can't seem to close, I can handle those. Those emoticons or whatever the fuck you want to call them that pop up in the side bars of sites are equally as annoying, but also equally as easy to ignore. But what really bugs me about this whole internet generation, and I mean this REALLY brings my piss to a boil, is the toll that it seems to have taken on the English language. I mean seriously, not since the invention of txt spk has the unspoken aspect of the English language taken such a kick in the stones. For example, where exactly did it become commonplace for people to substitute the word "of" for the word "have" in sentences? (for example, remember when people used to say things like "If I would have seen that guy yesterday, I would have kicked his ass" or "Did you go to class today?" "Well, I would have, but then I decided to dick around the house all day instead")

Those days are seemingly behind us, as now we can't log onto facebook or twitter or whatever, without seeing somebody deface the proper use of sentence structure. "If I had of known you guys were goin' to the pub I would of gone." Oh you would of, would you? You would OF GONE?!? YOU WOULD OF GONE?!?! Looks like you should OF gone to a fucking English class, you twat.

Similarly, this business of people writing "teh" instead of "the" and "pwned" instead of "owned" (although I never thought much of the term "owned" as a verb either) is quite bizarre. How incorrect spelling could become so common that it could be regarded as "a fad" is beyond me. "Did you know that I am teh best singer in my music class?" "Oh really? Did you know that you're gonna fail English if you continue to write like a pratt?"

Finally on this subject, (and not because this is all I can think of on the subject, but moreso because if I  continue to dwell on this any longer, I just may be reduced to tears.) is this business of people mis-using the different versions of "you're" and "your". "Did you know that your my best friend?" "No, did YOU know that you're a moron?" I remember watching an episode of "Frisky Dingo" that took the absolute piss out of this ridiculous carry-on when the villain "Killface" accidentally prints 40,000 postcards which all read "Welcome to you're doom", in essence saying "Welcome to you are doom!" and although it's hilarious when it's done intentionally on d'telly...it's pretty damn infuriating to see people do it genuinely.

It's just some food for thought, and I promise to not go on and on about it, but it needed to be said. Perhaps I should of chosen my words a little bit better in teh rant above, but let's be honest, your not going to need to look very far to see poorly chosen words anywhere else on teh internet these days are ya.

Now, me go enjoy to watch teh television.

No comments:

Post a Comment